Translate

jueves, 16 de enero de 2020

Interview with Uptown Psychos - Enero 2020


Hi, who are you Uptown Psychos and what instruments do you play?

Hello, I’m Roman Gomez I am the vocalist and rhythm guitarist for the band. Amongst the group we have Jose Torres on Drums, Andrew Pulido on the contrabass, and Johnny Pineda on lead guitar. 

Uptown Psychos is a Los Angeles based Psychobilly band. We throw many events locally in Southern California and try to keep the scene thriving. 

What is the musical genre of the group?

 To be quite honest we don’t really fit the mold to be labeled as a 100% Psychobilly band, we all play and listen a lot of different music. Our roots are definitely strongly influenced by a lot of early Punk Rock and Psycho/Rockabilly for sure. But I guess If you took a listen to us you’d agree that we have a different style compared to most of the bands in the Psycho scene. 

Why Uptown Psychos as a name?

Hugo Martinez actually came up with the name, he is a close friend of the group. In high school we had a crew/social club whatever you want to call it, and it was called Uptown Psychos. The original singer Jonathan Pinkard and myself decided to start a band after having heard bands like Demented are go, Calavera, and Os Catalepticos. Since we weren’t clever enough to think of a name ourselves we decided that Uptown Psychos was a name good enough for our band. And here we are 13 years later 😂

Where are you from?

Originally from Whittier California. 
But we are all living in different parts of Southern California. Andrew is in Commerce, Jose in Corona, Johnny in Fontana, and I’m now in Riverside. It makes things difficult since we all live apart from each other but we all make it work. 

When did you start playing as Uptown Psychos? That would be September 2007.

Do you have other parallel bands or do you play in other bands?

Andrew: Uptown Psychos, Psycho Demons, Rhythm Reactorz, No Way Jose.

Johnny: Uptown Psychos, Badluck Aces, Rhythm Reactorz, Los Pakololos.

Jose: Uptown Psychos, Sin of the Innocent, She’s a Kreeper, Wrecking Dead, Los Chilaqz.

Roman: Uptown Psychos, Resist and Exist, Corrupted Youth, Hardstride, Rhythm Reactorz, Wrecking Dead, Los Difuntos, Calavera, The Slanderin, No Way Jose, Psycho Demons and The Howlers.  Many more I can’t even remember haha. This is an on going joke for everyone, because I play for everyone and anyone. 😂

Influences? (Musicals, literary, cinephiles, etc.)

My personal influences would have to be Torr Skoog from Kings of Nuthin’ for writing some of the best lyrics and music I have ever heard in my life.

And I would say I am personally influenced by people who seek discomfort, go against the grain. In my opinion say fuck the path of least resistance, nothing has been easy for us as a band. The little we have, we have shed blood, sweat, and tears for. At the age of 16 I was sneaking into bars with a high school identification card, just to play for a group of 8 people. 4 of them being the bartenders and security, the rest being our supportive friends who were there even if we sucked. 

We’ve accomplished a lot of cool things as a band, I believe we have played as direct support or as an opening band for every single psychobilly band I own a record of. And that means the most to me, we do this because we sincerely love the music. I never want to stop doing this because whenever I needed a helping hand, music was my therapy. 

PSA (We still suck.)

Do you have something recorded? Tell us what you have. Are you going to record something soon?


We have only a handful of demos released, but the latest recording we have was done with Raul Cuellar. One of my best friends and favorite engineers. 

You can find it on almost every streaming app Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, xHamster, and I believe Pandora. 

Just type in Uptown Psychos-Had Enough and you’ll run into our music. 

What do your songs talk about?

They used to be about zombies, hotrods with zombies driving, hair grease, spider webs and cemeteries. 😅 

But now after growing up 13 years and living the life I do, and to have seen as much as I possibly can around the world. I’ve decided to start writing more personal songs. I’m currently writing a song about our borders from United States and Mexico. And another song about a friend who’s passed away. Torr Skoog really influenced the way I write, because he made me feel like it’s ok to be personal and write sincere things. Not enough bands do this anymore, and it irks me. 


With whom and where have you played? 

Our first show was at the Slam Theatre in El Monte California. The Henchmen, Goddamn Galows, and Calavera played those events. This was the earlier years of psychobilly. Where everyone actually sounded pretty unique and not like some cookie cutter assorted Meteors sound. 

We have shared the stage with a lot of really amazing bands.

Astro Zombies, Total Chaos, The Quakes, Skitzo, Los Gatos Locos, Nekromantix, and so many more. 

Upcoming events of Uptown Psychos? 

The next show we have lined up will be direct support for Torment in Anaheim. And after that I believe we will be playing with The Psyclocks from Japan. 

To keep updated on those events find us on Instagram: UptownPsychosOfficial, and you can also follow Diabolic Events and Checko Presents for the updates on the Torment and Psyclocks show. 


Are there good bands in your environment?

Yes there is! 
Take the time to look up Radarmen, Uhh Random Bunch, Deranged, Quaranteds, The Vectors, Patient Zero and Spectre. 

And we need your support to help rebuild it! So please help promote our bands and our events. Honestly if you just keep up with our social media pages we will post all of the bands sometime or another. The Los Angeles Psychobilly is on the verge of blowing up again.

End Transmissions... 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario